Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Buying Handmade Jewelry

Why handmade products?
There are so many reasons why it's better to buy handmade products than items that have been mass produced.  I think the biggest one is that they are unique.  If you have your own sense of style and like to stand out, then you can understand this on a basic level.  Have you ever gotten super excited about a incredibly hot, breathtaking dress that you bought for a special occasion? You could barely wait to put it on.  You took time selecting the perfect accessories, styling your hair and let's not forget makeup...only to show up at the event and see someone else in that same incredibly hot, breathtaking dress!!!! Grrr, the nerve of that b@tch! But don't get mad, she's only one of thousands of women who have that same incredibly hot breathtaking dress that you thought was made only for you! Handmade products on the other hand are original, unique and often one-of-a-kind designs.  I can't tell you how many compliments I get when I wear my designs, and the pride that brims over, knowing that I will be the only one wearing it. It's worth more than I could ever afford to pay.
Most makers of handmade products accept custom orders so buying handmade items is like having your own personal stylist.  At times you get to tell the designer the colors, length or material you want the product made with.  And if you're really lucky, the designer will agree to never make the same item for anyone else. WHAT!? Yes, all you have to do is ask :)
Another reason most people prefer handmade products is that the quality is usually much higher because of the heart, attention and care put into the process.  When I set out to make a piece, it's like a meditative, therapeutic process for me.  I eliminate all negative energy because I focus all that is pure and positive into the piece...I really do think happy thoughts when I make them lol!  I put on some nice music and I let the energy flow and at the end I feel as if I have given birth.  There may have been some pain along the way - maybe I cut myself trying to tighten a link, or I glued my fingers together and had to pry them apart or maybe I momentarily got stuck figuring out how to finish the piece- but at the end, when I look at the finished piece, I can only imagine that it's a percentage of what a mother feels looking at her newborn baby.
I love doing what I do, and when people support the makers of handmade items, they are helping someone carry out what they love to do.  I can't count the number of friends and associates I have that are genuinely sick of their JOBS.  It's obvious that only a few people can count themselves blessed to be able to do what they love doing and make a living from it.  It isn't easy though!  The looooong hours, that turn into looong days.  Toiling over a project, sweat, tears and sometimes blood! (Like I said, I tend to hurt myself a lot lol)  But, in the end it is so worth it.  I would rather spend all day doing something I love to do, than one hour stuck making someone else rich.
This is why as my customer and supporter, you are important to me.  I appreciate the love and support from you.  I see you as an individual, with a name. I know you.  You are not a number, a part of a demographic or statistic to be tested and evaluated based on your likes and dislikes or shopping habits.  I want to give you the personalized, friendly customer service that you deserve.  I want to make my designs for you, your style and your budget.

On behalf of all the independent artists all over the world, thank you for supporting.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment